Thursday, June 12, 2008

OPEN CALL FOR MODELS TO PORTRAY NEW WOMEN WARRIORS!

I am ready to select women who are interested in portraying my new WOMEN WARRIORS. Because I am striving to be historically accurate in as many details as possible, these images are NOT glamorized portraits. Many of these women fought in battle, or were great strategists, and these portraits seek to portray strength and character over physical beauty. You do not need to be a model to apply for WOMEN WARRIORS, and all women are welcome! Absolutely no facial piercings unless they can be removed (1-2 earring holes OK). No facial tattoos. If you would like to be considered for one of these roles, please email me at katie@ekatieholm.com, or call 612-270-0267. Please put the text "Women Warriors" in the email subject line. Let me know which woman (or women) you are interested in portraying and why you would like to be considered for that role. Additionally, please email me 1-3 photos. If you are unable to email photos, I will have an open studio casting in late June or early July. Specific details on each Warrior are below, and to see other artistic portrayals click on the word "images" after each name. I am using these artistic portrayals merely to see how other artists have depicted each woman; you do not need to look like these images to apply.

Queen Hatshepsut, Egypt, c. 1500 BC-1458 BC IMAGES The first Queen Regent to rule as Pharaoh, and one of only five women to do so. Regarded by Egyptologists as one of the most successful pharaohs, reigning longer than any other woman of an indigenous Egyptian dynasty. She was one of the most prolific builders in ancient Egypt. Fans of Egyptology will know that her mummy was recently discovered and DNA analyzed, allowing us to know more about her lineage and physical build. Interesting fact: at the time of her death, Hatshepsut was obese and diabetic.
Model notes: Hatshepsut reigned for 20+ years, and I would like to portray her between ages 30-42. Because she portrayed herself as Pharaoh (male), I may choose to dress her in the traditional Pharaonic costume, which was only a collar and kilt (no top). If you are interested in this role but do not want to be photographed topless, consideration will be given to this, so please apply.

Trung Trac and Trung Nhi, Vietnam, c. 12-43 AD IMAGES Two sisters who became leaders and successfully repelled Chinese invasions for three years. Most of their 36 generals were women, including their mother. They are national heroines of Vietnam.
Model notes: The Trung sisters would have been between ages 28-31 (approx.) during their leadership. Ideally I would like two sisters, or cousins, to portray these women. No dyed hair, please.

Nzinga Mbandi, Africa, c. 1583 - 1663 IMAGES Queen of the Ndongo and Matamba Kingdoms of the Mbundu people in southwestern Africa (Angola). She fought against Portuguese slave trade, and put women in positions of power.
Model notes: Nzinga took power around 1622 at approx. age 39, and reigned until she was 80, and will portray her anywhere between these ages.

Nanny of the Maroons, Jamaica, ?- c. 1733 IMAGES National Heroine of Jamaica and a well-known leader of the Jamaican Maroons in the eighteenth century. Fought against Spanish and British slavers, and sought independence for the people she led. Nanny is believed to be a free woman from the Akan or Ashanti tribe who came to Jamaica of her own choice. She was both a spiritual leader and expert strategist, and many myths and superstitions surround her existence.
Model notes: While Nanny's exact age is not known, she is depicted as an older-looking woman. I will portray her anywhere between ages 40-65.

Nanye-hi (Nancy Ward), America, c. 1738-1822 IMAGES Cherokee "Beloved Woman" She struggled for peaceful co-existence with white settlers, and was a revered leader in her tribe. On two occasions she managed to thwart hostile attacks, and was able to save the lives of many settlers and Native Americans alike.
Model notes: I would like to portray Nanye-Hi anywhere between ages 43-70.

Deborah Sampson Gannett, America, 1760 -1827 IMAGES The first known American woman to impersonate a man in order to join the Army, the first to fight in combat, and the first to receive a military pension.
Model notes: I would like to portray Deborah as either the 22-year-old who joined the army, the 42-year-old who gave lectures on her adventures, or in her early 50s when she was petitioning for her pension. The painting of her in the oval frame is an actual historic painting.

Policarpa Salvarrieta "La Pola," Columbia, c. 1791 - 1817 IMAGES "La Pola" was an orphaned seamstress who became an important strategist and spy, and fought in the Colombian revolution for independence from Spain. The Spanish put her to death, but Colombia eventually got its freedom.
Model notes: I would like to portray Policarpa in her early- to mid-twenties, about the age when she was captured and executed.

Lakshmi Bai, The Rani of Jhansi, India, c. 1828 - 1858 IMAGES Lakshmi was the queen of the Maratha-ruled princely state of Jhansi in North India, was one of the leading figures of the Indian rebellion of 1857, and a symbol of resistance to British rule in India. Her fall brought about many significant changes in India. Due to her bravery, she became a national hero and the epitome of female bravery.
Model notes: Lakshmi will be portrayed around age 30.

6 comments:

Fresca said...

I am soooooo looking forward to seeing these portraits when you're done (or in progress?).
I wish I fit any of the descriptions! (My Sicilian/Scottish ancestry rules me out.)
Good luck!!!

E. Katie Holm said...

There will always be the next round in 2009!

WendyB said...

Hi! Someone referred me here from my blog -- I do jewelry inspired by historical women. Your work is very interesting and I sure wish I fit one of the descriptions for your portraits.

E. Katie Holm said...

Eventually I hope to do thirty portraits, and maybe even a book? That's be cool!

So you never know who I will need in the future.....!

Fresca said...

I'm afraid the only famous woman anyone ever told me I looked like was Monica Lewinsky!
Probably not on your 2009 list. (Though I did always think she was pretty cute, in her way, I wouldn't call her a warrior, alas--though I did admire her telling some prosecutor that she did not accept the term "salacious" attached to her relationship with Bill. Who knows, maybe when she'd middle aged...?)

Anonymous said...

You have a lovely blog and I enjoyed viewing it. I wish you great success in your photograghic idea of using women models to depict famous women warriors. I hope that you will post a few on your blog.

I would like to invite you to my Werewolfking's Howl blog at http://werewolfking.blogspot.com. My blog depicts women warriors from fantasy, myth, and history in art, stories, and videos. Nothing X-rated! Dedicated to women warriors everywhere and a strong Amazon Nation.