Sunday, March 30, 2008

WOMEN WARRIORS announced!

I have made the final decision on whom to portray in WOMEN WARRIORS for my grant cycle. My original proposal was to portray six women, but I have decided to portray eight. This allows me better opportunity to depict a wide array of women from different cultures and races from around the world. So, without further adieu I present the 2008 WOMEN WARRIORS!

Pharaoh Hatshepsut, Egypt, c. 1500 BC-1458 BC. The first Queen Regent to rule as Pharaoh, and one of only five women to do so. Regarded by Egyptologists as one of the most successful pharaohs, reigning longer than any other woman of an indigenous Egyptian dynasty.

Trung Trac and Trung Nhi, Vietnam, c. 12-43 AD. Two sisters who became leaders and successfully repelled Chinese invasions for three years. Most of their 36 generals were women, including their mother.

Zinga (Jinga) Mbandi, Africa, c. 1583 - 1663. Queen of the Ndongo and Matamba Kingdoms of the Mbundu people in southwestern Africa. Fought against Portugese slave trade, put women in positions of power.

Nanny of the Maroons, Jamaica, 18th Cent. National Heroine of Jamaica and a well-known leader of the Jamaican Maroons in the eighteenth century. Fought against Spanish slavers.

Nanye-hi (Nancy Ward), America, c. 1738–1822. Cherokee "Beloved Woman" who believed in peaceful coexistence with white people.

Deborah Sampson Gannet, America, 1760 -1827. The first known American woman to impersonate a man in order to join the Army, the first to fight in combat, and the first to receive a military pension.

Policarpa Salvarrieta "La Pola," Columbia, c. 1791 – 1817. "La Pola" was an orphaned seamstress who became an important strategist and spy, and fought in the Colombian revolution for independence from Spain. The Spanish put her to death in 1827, but Colombia did get its freedom.

Lakshmi Bai, The Rani of Jhansi, India, c. 1828 – 1858. One of the leading figures of the Indian Rebellion of 1857, and a symbol of resistance to British rule in India.

You have probably noticed I changed one of my earlier selections, Madeleine de Vercheres (Canada). I opted to do this for two reasons: Deborah Sampson Gannett was a top selection in my poll, and Deborah's involvement in the American Military is important to the role of women in the US Military in general. Never fear, the young and heroic Madeleine will make a future appearance.

Additionally you have probably noted that there are no figures from prominent Western or Eastern Europe countries, like Spain, Italy or Russia. It was very difficult to choose the eight women I selected from the group of over 80 names I collected. While there are many wonderful candidates from the various countries throughout Europe, since I already portrayed four caucasian women from the British Isles, I felt that cultural diversity should be a deciding factor in whom I selected. I hope this does not prove to be short-sighted on my part, but I feel the eight new women with the four existing women will make a really solid portfolio to present for further grants, exhibits, and possible gallery representation. Going forward with the WOMEN WARRIORS after I complete the Artist Initiative Grant I will feel freer to select an even broader base of women. Feel free to share your thought on this!

So now I can start looking for models! I don’t have all the pertinent information gathered on what each of these women may have looked like, but if you or anyone you know might be a good candidate, please contact me!

No comments: