Friday, March 28, 2008

modern Woman Warrior: Harlem Teacher goes to Antarctica for Science, and Pupils

Harlem science teacher Shakira Brown will be teaching her students at Promise Academy from Antarctica this fall. Please visit the New York Times to read the full article, written by Ozier Muhammad. (*note* you may have to sign up for a free NYT membership to read the article)

When asked about the upcoming adventure, Ms. Brown stated:

“I’m a young African-American teacher who came from a public school education, from an urban environment,” she went on. “My mom made less than $30,000 a year, and she raised me and four brothers. Now I’m in a position to empower all these people to have the same path that I was on.”

Shakira Brown gets my nomination for Woman Warrior of the week!

No comments: