Friday, February 1, 2008

Who are the WOMEN WARRIORS?

The WOMEN WARRIORS began in the spring of 2006, and was inspired by the story of England’s Queen Boudicca, a heroic and daring leader who has been all but forgotten by history. I was driven to discover other historic women leaders, and longed to know not only their tales, but also what they may have looked like. I decided to interpret their significance by creating a series of formal studio portraits, as if photography had existed during their lifetimes. Each portrait is based on historic evidence and existing artistic depictions, and every attempt has been made to be as historically accurate as possible with resources available to me. Utilizing controlled studio lighting, digital photography and Photoshop, I have exercised complete artistic control through every step of the process, assuring I was accurately creating what I envisioned, leaving nothing to chance. These images are created to challenge the viewers’ thoughts and ideas about women’s roles in history. The WOMEN WARRIORS has allowed me to create an approach to portraiture that exposes and makes real the grandeur of the unmarked and unknown significant life.

So who could be a candidate for WOMEN WARRIORS? Any woman who provided leadership for their country, whether in a military, strategic, or political capacity. The contributions can be of any size. You don't have to be Joan of Arc to make a difference! For the purposes of my project candidates must be real women (sorry Medea), have lived prior to 1850, and preferably be obscure. Women of all nations, religious backgrounds and time periods are welcome.

If you would like to suggest a candidate, or volunteer to portray a warrior, please email me.
katie@ekatieholm.com

No comments: